Friday, July 15, 2011

A Package

In these days of email, Facebook, Skype and instant messaging, cards and packages from family or friends are still a very welcome sight. Thursday morning, I scooped up the mail from the mailbox, ran into the house and quickly cut open the package. I had been expecting the package, but was unsure of the contents. Oh, the excitement!
                                                            

Our daughter and son-in-law had told us to expect a package with something "Dutch" for our new bicycles, but what would I find when I opened the package? Do you know what these are? They are genuine Dutch bicycle bells. Dutch cyclists (surely almost all able-bodied residents of the Netherlands) have these bells on their bicycles and ring them as they ride down the many miles of bike paths, warning unsuspecting pedestrians ( mostly tourists) to get out of their way. Bicycles have the right-of-way on bicycle paths, so do NOT stand in a bike path to take a photograph! 


Genuine Dutch bicycle bells

My husband and I suspected that the bells might be in the package, but there was an added treat for me. Wrapped around the bells was:





A "Bike Cap" for my saddle just like those found on so many Dutch bikes—perfect for those rainy days. 

The oil cloth can be wiped off, and the saddle stays dry.










Look for updates as I outfit my bike with genuine Dutch accessories and run errands around my town.


1 comment:

  1. Glad that you liked the package. You can keep the cover on all the time. It will protect your saddle from rain and other things, like bird poop. I speak from personal experience.

    ReplyDelete